buncrana.com Forum Index buncrana.com
Buncrana's Message Forum!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do we have the right priorities in life?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    buncrana.com Forum Index -> Political Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Do we have the right priorities in life? Reply with quote

In 2004 Belfast hosted Holocaust Memorial Day which an internationally recognised day, designated by the United Nations, that is marked on and around the 27th January to commemorate the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1945. In his address the Chief Rabbi gave some interesting statistics ... Which of us will forget 9/11 when 3000 people were murdered on a single day? During the Holocaust, on average, 3000 people were murdered every day, 365 days of the year, for five and a half years. And in Rwanda, in the spring of 1994, three times as many, for 100 days.

This year it was the turn of Newcastle on Tyne to host the event. One of the events which was included in their programme was an extremely powerful exhibition depicting the experiences and the appalling conditions faced by the Karen people. These people are an ethnic minority who have been persecuted for fifty nine years - that is the length of time Burma has been independent. Millions of people who are living as refugees on the Burma-Thai border are suffering such desperate conditions that it is now acknowledged that the people of Karen State are suffereing a slow genocide.

I'm not quite sure, when such a state of affairs is coninuing in the world, whether we have got our priorities right. Fussing about sponsorship for a Festival, watching programmes such as Big Brother, East Enders and Star Trek makes it seem to me that we are living in a fantasy land whilst there is so much real suffering going on upon this earth.

Today on my MySpace page there was a bulletin from Belfast singer songwriter Ludwig O'Neill who requested that his bulletin "Burma under fire!!!" on MySpace be reposted. It's a pleasure to do this for Ludwig who is the guy leading the Campaign to Save the historical Rotterdam Bar in Belfast.

"Burma under fire!!!"
Burma is ruled by one of the most brutal military dictatorships in the world. For decades the Burmese regime has fought off pressure--imprisoning elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi and democracy activists, wiping out thousands of villages in the provinces, bringing miseries from forced labour to refugee camps.

But last Tuesday Buddhist monks and nuns, revered in Burma, began marching and chanting prayers. The protests spread—now they're growing by tens of thousands every day, as ordinary people, even celebrities and comedians join in.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/tf.php?CLICK_TF_TRACK

Peaceful protesters numbered 20,000 on Saturday, 30,000 on Sunday, 100,000 today. This week, they could win a new life for their country. In the past, Burma's military rulers have massacred the demonstrators and crushed democracy. This time it can be different—but only if the world stands with the Burmese.

Global leaders are gathering now in New York for the annual United Nations summit. In speeches and press interviews, we need them to show Burma's military junta how grave the consequences will be if they crush the protesters with violence this time. Click below urgently to sign the emergency petition supporting the peaceful protests in Burma, it’ll be delivered to UN Security Council members and the UN press corps all week:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/tf.php?CLICK_TF_TRACK
1800 MYFLORIST
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah!
Co Donegal
Tel 074 9108958
Fax 074 9108959

Flower orderline 1800 MYFLORIST (1800 693567)
Christopher
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Do we have the right priorities in life? Reply with quote

1800 MYFLORIST wrote:

yeah!

Now that's what I call a succinct response Gareth Cool

How are things going at your garden centre?

Christopher
PAUL
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i mean yer i mean do you
Christopher
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL wrote:
no i mean yer i mean do you

1800 MYFLORIST has the right idea ... gardens add to the quality of life.

I've joined MySpace and am making friends with musicians as their work also tends to add to the quality of life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    buncrana.com Forum Index -> Political Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: