buncrana.com Forum Index buncrana.com
Buncrana's Message Forum!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saddam Hussein sentenced to death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    buncrana.com Forum Index -> Political Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you agree with the verdict?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Saddam Hussein sentenced to death Reply with quote

I'm surprised that none of the regulars brought this up yet.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/dujail.saddam/index.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gohan
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to give clear answer.
Definately should be excruciatingly punished for his crimes.
Then all this media hype about reprisals from his supporters. Even something in paper today from former Iraqi confidant living in Ireland saying Ireland is a target. Then again someone always says that these days when Middle East comes up.
Princess Tigerlily
- Spoiled Rotten -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt know he was sentenced to death, and honestly dont really know enough details to give a verdict, coarse i know he was a dictator and all that jazz but really dont feel able to give judgement. in my ignorant opinion bush is just as guilty of war crimes.
Gohan
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Bush should. Although it was a former US govt that supplied the gas.
According to that CNN report does Saddam go under the rope inunder 30 days?
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gohan wrote:
Of course Bush should. Although it was a former US govt that supplied the gas.
According to that CNN report does Saddam go under the rope inunder 30 days?

The the appellate court has an unlimited time to review it although they expect them to take but a few weeks. After that, it's 30 days to string him up.

Princess Tigerlily, this has nothing to do with war crimes but to do with the torture and murder of the Shiites in his own country after an assassination attempt was made against him in a Shiite area. He is also supposed to be tried for the crime of genocide for his attempt to wipe out the Kurds, again in his own country. This puts him right up there with Hitler.

IMO, hanging is too good for him. On a side note, donations of ropes of various colors and lengths have been pouring into the Iraqi capitol at a staggering rate from all over the world. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Martin
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush with his imperialist antics and all the knock-on effects of it have resulted in the deaths of more Iraqis in the past couple of years than the deaths that happened in the previous few decades under Saddam. He should be hanged with him. Unfortunately that won't happen, so somebody will have to take it upon themselves to assassinate him Smile
"There can be no such things as an Irish nationalist accepting the loyalist veto and partition. You cannot claim to be an Irish nationalist if you consent to an internal six county settlement and if you are willing to negotiate the state of Irish society with a foreign government."
- Gerry Adams November 22 1984 (AP/RN)
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Bush with his imperialist antics and all the knock-on effects of it have resulted in the deaths of more Iraqis in the past couple of years than the deaths that happened in the previous few decades under Saddam. He should be hanged with him. Unfortunately that won't happen, so somebody will have to take it upon themselves to assassinate him Smile

Martin, is your head stuck in the san again? Under Saddam, over 180,000 Kurds were slaughtered in an attempt to wipe them off the planet during the 80's. Everyday you here about some other act of terroism by Iraqis against other Iraqis but that is Bush's fault too, right? Sorry, but you bleeding heart liberals can't blame Bush for everything.
Gohan
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did we blame Bush for everything? So, he wasn't around all those years ago when Saddam wiped those 180,000 out by al-Anfal. But he's here now. And look at the state of Iraq.

Then again if we are really bushed by bush Rolling Eyes what about his ignorance of the Hurricane Katrina disaster. But that's a whole new thing and nothing to do with this topic.

Like I said before Saddam should be punished for his crimes but for the security of the people in Iraq he can not be.
Cu Chulainn
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youve been influenced too much by the American Media, Tommy my boyo and it shows. And id hardly call Martin a bleeding heart liberal now. Anyway if the president of Iraq was still in charge of his people and Iraq wasnt occupied by imperial forces then the problems of violence and instability would not be happining in Iraq now. Of course it is America and Britains fault. They preach about bringing "democracy" to Iraq, when they remove a democraticly elected president. The invasion is an injustice to many:
1-To the lie that is called democracy.
2-To the people of Iraq.
3-To American soldiers, who are nobely serving their country, under false pretences.

My final statement will be a bold one: The actions of these clowns (Blair, Bush etc.) is inexcuseable and they have created hate were there wouldnt have been hate before. They have pushed men to freedom fighting groups and will make killers and jailbirds out of men who wouldnt have done so otherwise. Theirs (Yanks, Brits) is the greatest sin of all and they deserve whats coming to them. Unspeakable disaster on their soil can now be justified because of their shameful actions. Regardless of what the media or BHLs say events like 9/11, 7/7 and future attacks (even on ireland) can be condoned even though they will bring great pain to many. The lesson is that if you back a dog into a corner then expect to be bitten.
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, if the Brits and Yanks were not there and it was EU forces, you would have nothing to say and you know it. Stability in Iraq before they were invaded? Sure. Lack of violence? Not true. The only reason you see and hear about the violence now is that the media is allowed to report it. CNN is allowed to send in camera crews. The terrorists were alive and well in Iraq well before Iraq was invaded but back then, they were called government officials. I notice you completely brushed past the fact that Saddam's regime attempted to wipe out an entire ethnic group in their country, that they tortured, murdered and raped an entire town just due to an assasination attempt on Saddam himself. As for Saddam being democratically elected, bullshit!

Now, that all said, I completely disagree with any invasion or occupation in Iraq for the simple fact that I could care less about Iraq. The tax payers money spent, the loss of American lives all for a cause not our own. The first presidential candidate that states that he will attack no country that does not directly threaten to attack ours, gets my vote regardless of his party affiliation. We have 2 more years of Bush so let's hope the next one up is somewhat the wiser.

Cu Chulainn wrote:
Youve been influenced too much by the American Media, Tommy my boyo and it shows. And id hardly call Martin a bleeding heart liberal now. Anyway if the president of Iraq was still in charge of his people and Iraq wasnt occupied by imperial forces then the problems of violence and instability would not be happining in Iraq now. Of course it is America and Britains fault. They preach about bringing "democracy" to Iraq, when they remove a democraticly elected president. The invasion is an injustice to many:
1-To the lie that is called democracy.
2-To the people of Iraq.
3-To American soldiers, who are nobely serving their country, under false pretences.

My final statement will be a bold one: The actions of these clowns (Blair, Bush etc.) is inexcuseable and they have created hate were there wouldnt have been hate before. They have pushed men to freedom fighting groups and will make killers and jailbirds out of men who wouldnt have done so otherwise. Theirs (Yanks, Brits) is the greatest sin of all and they deserve whats coming to them. Unspeakable disaster on their soil can now be justified because of their shameful actions. Regardless of what the media or BHLs say events like 9/11, 7/7 and future attacks (even on ireland) can be condoned even though they will bring great pain to many. The lesson is that if you back a dog into a corner then expect to be bitten.
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gohan wrote:
Where did we blame Bush for everything? .

Right here. Pay attention to the following, completely false statement.

Martin wrote:
Bush with his imperialist antics and all the knock-on effects of it have resulted in the deaths of more Iraqis in the past couple of years than the deaths that happened in the previous few decades under Saddam.
jamesy
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gohan wrote:

Like I said before Saddam should be punished for his crimes but for the security of the people in Iraq he can not be.

i agree totally with gohan on this one
Martin
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Gohan wrote:
Where did we blame Bush for everything? .

Right here. Pay attention to the following, completely false statement.

Martin wrote:
Bush with his imperialist antics and all the knock-on effects of it have resulted in the deaths of more Iraqis in the past couple of years than the deaths that happened in the previous few decades under Saddam.

It's now estimated that around 655,000 people have been killed since the invasion of Iraq in March 2003. Admittedly, not all have been killed by the USUK invaders, but their invasion destabilised the region greatly resulting in a civil war - hence my "knock-on effects" comment. The figure accounts for about 2.5% of the population of Iraq.
"There can be no such things as an Irish nationalist accepting the loyalist veto and partition. You cannot claim to be an Irish nationalist if you consent to an internal six county settlement and if you are willing to negotiate the state of Irish society with a foreign government."
- Gerry Adams November 22 1984 (AP/RN)
Cu Chulainn
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were EU forces invading any country i would whole heartedly against it. I strongly believe that countries should be left to their own devices, and not to be interfered by from foreign regimres, ignorant of countr, culture, and identity.

With regards to the media. There has been massive restrictions put on the Western media in relation to covering Iraq. They dont want the media focusing on this like they did in Vietnam. It was the media coverage that enraged the American people and led to a change of policy to withdrawel in Vietnam.

As for Saddams treatment of the Kurds- despicable. Grant them an independant Kurdistan and let the new Iraq to themselves.

Now as for the execution of Saddam, it is probably justified, but the justice has been diluted by the way in which it has been handled in an American controled puppet court. Justice would have been better served if the Iraqis had done this during a coup or even by their own devices.

I could scroll through past posts and bring up arguments made by people about the death penalty, but im not that sad. I ask them to just remember to keep a consistent argument in future and dont let yourselves be accused of double standards. The death penalty is nessecary in todays world, and whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:

It's now estimated that around 655,000 people have been killed since the invasion of Iraq in March 2003. Admittedly, not all have been killed by the USUK invaders, but their invasion destabilised the region greatly resulting in a civil war - hence my "knock-on effects" comment. The figure accounts for about 2.5% of the population of Iraq.

Those figures are also greatly inflated and completely discredited. The only source to publish that "study" was The Lancet. Every other source, liberal or otherwise, puts the numbers between 30-50k. I will not disagree that it is still a great many deaths but still no where near what Saddam has done himself.
jamesy
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cu Chulainn wrote:
The death penalty is nessecary in todays world

only in truly exceptional circumstances like genocide
Gohan
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesy wrote:
Cu Chulainn wrote:
The death penalty is nessecary in todays world

only in truly exceptional circumstances like genocide

What about rapists? I think they're worse than murderers.
Cu Chulainn
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absoulutly right Jamesy genocide is the worst crime of all and Saddam should be punished. Like Cromwell he tried to wipe out a race of people and justice should be done. But if Saddam is brought to Justice then surely Bush and Blair should be hanged, because their crimes can be considered worse. And Gohan you are absoultly right serial rapists and paedophiles also deserve to be executed as they have no positive contribution to society, so using these arguments the death peanilty is indeed a nessicity.
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cu Chulainn wrote:
And Gohan you are absoultly right serial rapists and paedophiles also deserve to be executed as they have no positive contribution to society, so using these arguments the death peanilty is indeed a nessicity.

I agree with you 100% there. A slow and painful death for all of them.

Cu Chulainn wrote:
But if Saddam is brought to Justice then surely Bush and Blair should be hanged, because their crimes can be considered worse.

Explain exactly what these two did that would be considered worse than genocide? Please don't make such bold statements without posting your rationale for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    buncrana.com Forum Index -> Political Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: