buncrana.com Forum Index buncrana.com
Buncrana's Message Forum!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

McDaid family, Buncrana - Widowmakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maidmarian
- newbie -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: McDaid family, Buncrana - Widowmakers Reply with quote

I would be grateful for any info about the McDaid family from The Illies, Buncrana who, I understand, were known as the widowmakers, as the men often died young. My grandfather was William who moved to Derry in 1900 and became a shoemaker - his father was Denis and his mother, I think, but am not sure, was Biddy Doherty.
Illies-girl
- newbie -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: McDaid family-Widowmakers Reply with quote

There were three Mc Daid families in the Lower Illies area at the time to which you refer.James and Michael and their families lived in Lower Illies.Patrick and John were from the Mc Daids in Cregavilla. Over in Tirk John, James and Harry McDaid. These men lived into their 70's af far as I am aware.I'm not familiar with the names you provided.
maidmarian
- newbie -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. The only hard evidence I have about my family is from my grandparent's marriage certificate - William McDaid to Rose Kelly at St Eugene's Church, Derry in 1900 - which gives William's place of residence at the time of marriage as 'Illies, Buncrana, Co. Donegal'. His father is given as Denis McDaid (Farmer, dead). I believe that Rose Kelly, my grandmother, also came from Buncrana. Her father was Patrick Kelly, farmer. The witnesses were another William McDaid - who signed with his mark - and Mary Doherty. I wonder if any of the McDaids you mentioned were William's brothers? It's possible that both his parents were dead by then, which may be why he moved to Derry.
kmpiotrowski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: McDaid's from Buncrana Reply with quote

MaidMarian:

I believe that you may be speaking of my family. My ggrandfather was Owen Francis McDaid, who became known as Owen McDevitt once he came to the US. I have record of him being born on Buncrana on 27 Apr 1866 to William McDaid and Bridget (Biddy) Doherty.

Owen came to the US in 1886 and married Mary Ann Kenney in 1892. Owen and Mary Ann had at least 9 children and owned a farm in Lexington, MA.

I hope this helps
maidmarian
- newbie -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your reply. My great-grandparents were Denis McDaid, and, possibly, Biddy Doherty. I got Biddy Doherty's name from the LDS site as having married a Denis McDaid in Buncrana, so am making the assumption that she was my grandmother. I'm positive about the Denis as it was on my grandparent's marriage certificate. There also seems to be a connection to the Doherty family, as Mary Doherty was a witness at my grandparents wedding. My grandparents were William McDaid - son of Denis - and Rose Kelly. However, your information sounds really interesting and may well be part of my family. Can you please tell me where you think Owen may fit in to the information I already have? Or tell me any more? Feel free to PM me if you wish. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    buncrana.com Forum Index -> Genealogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: