buncrana.com Forum Index buncrana.com
Buncrana's Message Forum!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lack of bins in buncrana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    buncrana.com Forum Index -> Political Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave mc
- boss -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: lack of bins in buncrana Reply with quote

not often i have anything valube to contribute to this end of the forum, but over the past few days (while i've been saunterin about buncrana with absolutly nothing to do), i've noticed that there aren't that many bins.

i didn't actually count them, but there doesn't seem to be very many on the main street, and i was out by porthaw and with the amount of ppl on the beaches in this weather waste disposal facilities are essential.

fair enough, if i buy an icepop i'm responsible for disposing of the wrapper, but i dont like holding it for 40 mins before i come across the next bin.....

anyone else feel we need more bins?
PAUL
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp you need to count the number of bins then divide them by the amount of buncrana residents and by the amount of visitors if the number is less than one bin per 553 people then the council need to provide more bins
Cu Chulainn
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly true Pat there is not enough bins in the town, particulary in places of great beauty. Might i suggest that you start a campaign, where you ask business men in the town to donate funding and send a few B.com people around from door to door collecting money through sponsorship to buy more bins. You could then do a special write up on B.com, charting the success of the campaign. It is no good saying something without action and i would help you set this up.

P.S it might be good publicity for B.com
dave mc
- boss -

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty busy at the minute, but urselkf and martin can head up the campaign Yes
PAUL
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could try my idea
liamthebarber
- newbie -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the wrapper, that, you can put in your pocket. What if you have to 'spend a penny'. At least at some stage you'll come across a bin but you won't come across a public convenience.
1800 MYFLORIST
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pat, but the problem exists in many towns and villages across the Inishowen area.

In a local level here there is not one bin in Newtown. so no wonder we have litter.

Is there some thinking behind this from the council?
Co Donegal
Tel 074 9108958
Fax 074 9108959

Flower orderline 1800 MYFLORIST (1800 693567)
L!$@

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in NYC there in April and where I was staying in Yonkers I saw one bin the whole time I was there.... yet there was NO LITTER! How can this be without bins yet there are a good few bins in Buncrana and litter is still a problem?
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L!$@ wrote:
I was in NYC there in April and where I was staying in Yonkers I saw one bin the whole time I was there.... yet there was NO LITTER! How can this be without bins yet there are a good few bins in Buncrana and litter is still a problem?

Sad to say but people take littering more seriously here in NY. It is very much frowned on by almost everyone, children included. For the most part, any "bins" you see on the streets in NY are likely privately owned by either the adjacent business or a business association.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1800 MYFLORIST
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of a street-scape project I did some time ago we looked at the hard landscapign around Disney World and did you know there is a bin every ten steps for you to put your rubbish in.

I also noticed that in areas where bins exists they are generally overflowing - is there a standard timeframe bins are emptied? - perhaps Councillor Padraig might answer this?
Co Donegal
Tel 074 9108958
Fax 074 9108959

Flower orderline 1800 MYFLORIST (1800 693567)
Tommy
- Administrator -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering 16 million people visit Disney World each year, it's not really a fair comparison to Buncrana. Also, people don't litter due to a lack of bins on the street, they litter because they do not care. As Lisa mentioned, NYC does not have all that many bins on the street for the millions of people there each year. Most people simply tote their rubbish along with them until they do find somewhere to toss it out. Now, if you get caught here tossing something out on the street, you can be fined by the police. The fine is $250 in most areas around me. Does the Gardai fine people for littering? Maybe enforcement is the answer. Can't whine that you have an empty 4 Lanterns bag that you can't dispose of due to there being no bins on the street. Walk your ass back the the 4L's and use theirs or take it home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cu Chulainn
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buncrana is actually a lot cleaner than what it used to be. I think much of the praise shpuld lie with the town council especially Mc Dermot (the flower man). People take care of the town a lot better now. Of course more bins would be better particulary in the shore front area. You have to look at issues very carefully before making a decision. For example would more bins encourage more people to dump large amounts of rubbish at the sides, causing more litter. It is 11 Euro to put out a bin on a thursday. Dear enough like. People should actually do something constructive rather than spout rethoric on the internet. Why not write to the council or clean the mess yourselves? Because ill tell you this typing crap on a keyboard will not fix the problem. But dont worry i enjoy the odd rant on this thing so its alright. Ok rant over.
BladeBlunter
- newbie -

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I also think that Buncrana and it's environs are pretty clean and tidy but one thing I have noticed that I find really deplorable is the amount of litter and rubbish I see thrown out of car and van windows! Several times I've been down the Derry-Buncrana road and I've had a half eaten sandwich or burger or empty water bottle come flying towards from the van in front. Van drivers (and passengers) are the worst but I've also seen several cars doing this. I really can't understand it as most of the time they appear to be local residents returning home as I've seen them around town!

There's an old saying "Never sh*t on your own doorstep" that I hold true, and especially so as this area is truly beautiful and the thought that someone can be so inconsiderate really gets my goat.....

Phew, rant over, that's much better now : )

BB
FLUFF
- newbie -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: POLLUTION Reply with quote

Possibly the litter subject will be addressed and enforced in the not too distant future,due to the appointment of a Community Warden.
This warden will have the power to fine on the spot for litter,stationary traffic offences,dog fouling/licenses etc.

On another subject ,I was on the swilly ferry few weeks back going to see a friend in Rathmullan ,and noticed that they were pumping something over the side straight into the water,smell was terrible.

Is this legal how do they get rid of their waste?

Would put me off swimming in the lough for sure!!! Nervous
liamthebarber
- newbie -

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All foul waste in the Swilly catchment ends up in the Swilly, including your own. Think of the Swilly, sh1te behind the ditch.
Christopher
- Full Member -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: lack of bins in buncrana Reply with quote

PAUL wrote:
dp you need to count the number of bins then divide them by the amount of buncrana residents and by the amount of visitors if the number is less than one bin per 553 people then the council need to provide more bins

Would these bins be sufficiently large to hold 553 empty Coke bottles or tins, empty chip or pizza packs and other assorted rubbish? People usually get a soft drink when they visit a fast food outlet. Now when the locals and summer visitors to the town have all devoured their meal can the tops be lifted off the bins for those who wish to puke after their meals have disagreed with them for one reason or another? You certainly can't be expected to hang about until the puke is sufficiently dry so that it can be put into your pocket to be taken home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    buncrana.com Forum Index -> Political Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: